Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose University of Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at University of Galway is all about here.
About University of Galway
About University of Galway
Since 1845, University of Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
University of Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
Business & Industry
Guiding Breakthrough Research at University of Galway
We explore and facilitate commercial opportunities for the research community at University of Galway, as well as facilitating industry partnership.
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At University of Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Broadening your Research Impact
Tips for Increasing Research Impact
Increase the impact of your Manuscript
- Publish where it counts - journals that are indexed by major citation services, eg Scopus help increase recognition for your work.
- Select the appropriate Journal –consider Journal Impact Factor, Scopus ASJC Codes, cross-discipline, where do your competitors publish?
- Aim high - papers in highly cited journals attract more citations and sooner - see here for list of Top Journals in Scopus
- Consider the publication timeline - does the journal do preprints? Digital Object Identifier?
- Title – longer more descriptive article titles attract more citations.
- Title (and Abstract) words are heavily weighted by search engines and a keyword-rich title will push your article towards the top.
- Write a clear Abstract, repeat key phrases (search engines search the Abstract)
- Write a Review - Citation rates of reviews are generally higher than other papers
- Use more references – strong relationship between no of references and citations.
- Open Access to underlying research data and materials – makes your paper very attractive Check the review period and on-line pre-prints.
- Publish in Open Access journals and Open Access Digital repository – greater access, visibility, digital access and some research funders insisting.
- International experts in your field (Scival can help identify potential collaborators)
- Multi author and multi institutes
- Correlation with higher citation rates
Promotion, Visibility and Accessibility
- Importance of Self Promotion, Networking and Visibility
- Participate in conferences and meetings – present your work at every opportunity
- Offer to give lectures or talk about your research.
- Build an online presence:
Create a website that lists your publications –include University of Galway.
Use Social Media - Facebook, Twitter, ResearchGate, LinkedIn, Blogs, Youtube video, TedEd lesson etc
- Utilize both Institution and publisher press releases and public relations.
- Distribute reprints to scientists you have cited or to those who may find your work interesting.
- Publish in Open Access Journals and Open Access Digital repository – greater access, visibility, digital access and some research funders insisting.
Cite and you will be Cited
- Cite your colleagues, including those with results contrary to yours
- Cite leaders in your field and pertinent papers.
- Self Citations - Cite your own relevant work (limit to 3 or 4, only include Journal Papers)
and Finally - Make sure you get the credit for your work - see Publishing Guidelines for Researchers
- Manage your online identity – Consistent form of your name, ORCID ID
- Make sure you include University of Galway address in the correct form.
- Reclaim any misspelt citations by others – Scopus feedback service.
- Monitor your output ensuring bibliometric databases accurately capture your work.
• Ref: Effective Strategies for Increasing Citation Frequency: http://eprints.rclis.org/20496/1/30366-105857-1-PB.pdf
Institutional Reseach Office
6th April 2022
QS Subject Ranks show Unversity of Galway achieved a rank in 22 subjects, up 3 from last year. Hospitality & Leisure Management ( Shannon College ), Physics & Astronomy and Archaeology all achieved a rank this year.