The project's initial deliverables and project plan.
- A database/inventory of repositories.
- An audit report on existing practices for Irish repositories to identify strengths and gaps.
- An agreed and published national roadmap for OA repositories.
- A metadata implementation standard for research publications.
- A set of community guidelines for metadata implementation.
- A governance approach to oversee compliance and quality in OA repositories
- Guides to implement common and best-practice standards for technical infrastructure and service provision within the network.
- Pilot implementation in 2-3 repositories.
Task list with milestones, deliverables, and responsibility.
Project startup (month 3)
- Research office project setup and finance
- Project documents and collaboration site
- Setup and agree project board and team
- Agree TOR and project governance
- Finalise project plan/task
- Finalise data management plan
- Recruit and appoint a PM
- Audit and research ready to start (milestone)
Data capture and analysis (month 7)
- Review previous NORF and related work
- Collaborate with other NORF-funded projects and initiatives around the role of PIDs and rights retention
- Desk research (international tool, standards, policies)
- Audit repositories (surveys, self-assessment, and interviews)
- Create and conduct the survey
- Define and conduct a self-assessment process
- Data analysis
- Conduct 6-8 stakeholder interviews
- Conduct 6-8 repository manager interviews
- Conduct SWOT of Irish repositories
- Data analysis
- We understand the local landscape (milestone)
- Conduct gap analysis
- We know the issues in Irish repositories (milestone)
- International best practice
- Discover international best practice
- Engage with international best practice organisations (openAIRE, Rioxx, OpenDOAR, COAR etc)
- We understand international best practice (milestone)
- Analyse all data
- Ready to start creating an Irish solution and roadmap (milestone)
Repository landscape (month 8)
- Create a database of Irish OA repositories
- Publish the inventory of repositories (Deliverable 1 - Project Manager)
- Publish an Irish repository landscape report (Deliverable 2 - Project Manager)
Agree metadata approach (month 13)
- Draft metadata scheme
- Community feedback
- International feedback
- Stakeholder feedback
- Redraft metadata scheme
- Agree metadata scheme
- We are ready to pilot the draft metadata schema (milestone)
- Draft community guidelines for metadata implementation
- Draft of the governance framework
- Draft assessment of compliance approach
- Metadata schema support policies are drafted and ready for testing (milestone)
Pilot and test metadata approach (month 20)
- Agree 2-3 pilot repositories
- Implement the new scheme in pilot repositories (Deliverable 8 - Project Manager)
- Test interoperability between Irish repositories
- Test interoperability with international aggregators
- Revise community guidelines for metadata implementation
- Revise governance framework
- Revise compliance approach
- Get feedback from the community and stakeholders
- Publish draft guidelines, compliance, and governance approach
National roadmap (month 22)
- Desk research and engage with international best practice
- Consider other NORF-funded projects and initiatives around the role of PIDs and rights retention
- Consider longer-term outlook
- Consider compliance and quality
- Consider how to build on the pilot and rollout wider
- Draft national roadmap
- Revise national roadmap
- Publish roadmap (Deliverable 3 - Project Manager)
Project close (month 24)
- Share and publish metadata approach
- Get final stakeholder feedback and revise metadata approach, guides, and documents
- Finalise metadata, guides, and documents (Deliverables 4, 5, 6, and 7 - Project Manager)
- Report on methodology, options considered, and a discussion of all findings.