Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose University of Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at University of Galway is all about here.
About University of Galway
About University of Galway
Since 1845, University of Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
University of Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
Business & Industry
Guiding Breakthrough Research at University of Galway
We explore and facilitate commercial opportunities for the research community at University of Galway, as well as facilitating industry partnership.
- Alumni & Friends
At University of Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Research & Innovation
Our Vision for Research & Innovation
To produce research that is recognised as being excellent, transformative, and relevant to societal and economic needs, while we train the next generation of researchers
Research and Innovation Impact
- Increase the quality, impact and international awareness of our research outputs
- Increase the number of Galway researchers publishing in high-impact journals that will enhance our reputation, as measured by national and European funding agencies and university ranking organisation
- Maximise the involvement of all academic staff in research, in particular in activities that generate funding, have societal impact and/or enhance our reputation
- Focus on recruiting, retaining and rewarding excellent academic staff who have a proven track record in delivering measurable research outputs
- Use our research to contribute to national competitiveness and to boost employment through the creation of spin-out companies, while also supporting existing and emerging businesses in our region
- Further develop our partnerships with external organisations and universities in order to enhance the quality, global impact and relevance of our research
- Develop new strategies and structures – involving liaison with industry, technology transfer, and research partnerships – that will generate new networks of entrepreneurs and innovators
- Develop clear metrics and performance expectations for Schools, Colleges and Research Institutes and their academic staff
Research and Innovation Environment
- Empower academic leaders to implement a research career strategy for staff, in order to foster excellence, innovation and entrepreneurship
- Continue to refine and consolidate our academic structures, including our Research Institutes and Centres, to ensure they are flexible and responsive to new opportunities, and facilitate the achievement of our ambitions for research
- Improve administrative supports and policies for our research community to help maximise their efforts in securing research funding and performing quality research
- Sustain the currently high level of doctoral graduates, increase numbers of academic staff involved in research student supervision, and double the percentage of students completing PhDs on time
- Ensure that all our PhD students enjoy a high quality research experience and have opportunities to develop skills to build successful careers in a range of sectors
Measures of Success
- €60M total direct research funding annually, increased from €52M
- €100M of direct research funding secured from the EU’s Horizon 2020 programme
- Institution-wide peer review of our research performance completed in all Schools
- 30spin-outs, 75 licenses, 40 patents by 2020
- Citation impact score of 8, up from 6.2
- Citation count per academic FTE of 35, increased from 26
- Integrated back-office supports for our research community
- European Commission Human Resources Excellence in Research Award retained
- In excess of 200 doctoral graduates per year
- 80% of PhD students participating in structured PhD programmes, up from 40%
- 10% increase in the number of academic staff involved in research student supervision
- Double the percentage of students completing PhDs within a four-year period