Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose University of Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at University of Galway is all about here.
About University of Galway
About University of Galway
Since 1845, University of Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
University of Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
Business & Industry
Guiding Breakthrough Research at University of Galway
We explore and facilitate commercial opportunities for the research community at University of Galway, as well as facilitating industry partnership.
- Alumni & Friends
At University of Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Laptop Loan Scheme
Student Laptop Loan Scheme
Open for Semester 1, 2023-24
Under this scheme, undergraduate and postgraduate students are eligible to apply, to receive a laptop on a long-term loan (for the duration of their studies with University of Galway), in order to assist with online learning, providing eligibility criteria it has been met. All applicants must provide evidence of socio-economic disadvantage.
If you are in need of a laptop and you meet the eligibility criteria and can provide the accepted supporting financial documents, you may apply for this scheme. We cannot guarantee that a student will be successful, even if they meet the criteria, due to a limited supply of devices.
To be eligible to apply for a laptop you must be registered as a full or part-time student in 2023-24 with University of Galway and be from a low-income household, with an annual income below €50,840.
- Provide a full and complete copy of the SUSI (Student Universal Support Ireland) award letter for the current academic year, showing that they are eligible for a 100% Contribution Fee (Reckonable income must be under €50,840). Please ensure you submit documents with your name and reckonable income OR
- Confirm that they are a current HEAR (Higher Education Access Route) or Access student in University of Galway OR
- Confirm that they received funding from the University of Galway Student Assistance Fund in 2023/24 OR
- Evidence that they received a means-tested DSP (Department of Social Protection) payment by providing a full Department Social Protection (DEASP) statement of payments for their household for the year ending 2022.
The allocation of devices will be based on the target groups identified in the National Plan for Equity of Access to Higher Education 2015-2019:
- Students disadvantaged by socio-economic barriers
- First-time mature students
- Students with disabilities
- Part-time/flexible learning students
- Students who hold further education qualifications
- Students who are members of the Traveller and Roma communities.
- Students who are lone parents
- Students who are members of ethnic minorities
Students not eligible to apply for the scheme include:
- Non-EU fee-paying students, Erasmus and Study Abroad students are not eligible to apply to this scheme.
- Students who are not taking a programme, which is leading to a full University of Galway award (e.g. those taking single modules only), are not eligible.
Should you wish to avail of any additional welfare and wellbeing supports, please see: www.universityofgalway.ie/student-services for further information. University of Galway reserves the right to vary or alter, amend, revoke or recover any aspect or loan made under this scheme at its discretion.
For queries please email: email@example.com
Please complete the online application form here
Successful applicants will receive an email informing them of the date and time they have been allocated to collect their laptop. They will also receive copies of the Acceptance Form and set-up instructions, which can be viewed below.
Laptop Repairs: For hardware issues contact Dell at www.dell.com/support or call 0818 274270 (Or, from outside Ireland 00 353 1 2627770)
Students should have the 11-digit Express Service Code to hard and select the “Get Technical Support” option. If a technician callout is required, the technician will go to where the laptop is located (including home or term-time addresses) on the next working day (if the call is logged before 16:00).
For software issues contact ISS at https://servicedesk.universityofgalway.ie/ or phone 091 495777
Students in their final year of study for the academic year 2022-2023 or completing their studies must return their loaned devices to the University upon completion of your course as per terms and conditions of the Laptop Loan Scheme.
If for some reason you will need your laptop beyond this date or intend to pursue a postgraduate course, please get in contact with the laptop loan scheme team at firstname.lastname@example.org where every effort will be made to assist you.
Laptops need to be returned to the Access Centre no later than 29th September 2023. The Access Centre is located on First Floor Áras Uí Chathail, South Campus, University of Galway.
This scheme was funded during the Covid-19 Pandemic and will not receive additional funding. In order to assist future students in the same way you have been supported and for this scheme to be able to continue it is imperative each device is returned to us in good working order. We appreciate your cooperation and support for the continuation of this scheme.