Study Abroad

Studying abroad as part of your degree brings many benefits – you will improve your language skills, learn to appreciate other cultures and develop different perspectives on your course of study. Studying abroad is a great way to see the world and enhances your employment prospects after you graduate.

Erasmus programme

The Erasmus Programme is designed so a student can do part of their academic work in another European university. As an Erasmus student, you get to experience another culture, improve your language skills and see the different approaches taken to your subjects in another university. You get full recognition for any studies carried out successfully at approved European universities.

There are about 500 places abroad available for University of Galway students in 120 host universities all over Europe. To take part in Erasmus, you have to be a registered University of Galway student, in the appropriate year, and be selected by your department co-ordinator for one of the places that are available in your subject.
Get more information about the Erasmus programme.

Student exchanges

University of Galway provides a number of opportunities for students to engage in a study abroad experience outside of the Erasmus programme. Universities in North America, including Boston College, Villanova University, University of Maryland, Richmond University, University of Ottawa and Universidad de Veracruzana all acept University of Galway students as part of exchange agreements.

Recently, University of Galway has established links with universities in China, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea and Hong Kong and a number of students have already participated in exchanges with these universities.
Get more information about student exchanges here

Summer abroad programmes

If you are interested in spending your summer abroad, there are a number of options open to you:

  • Work experience/graduate programmes abroad
  • Volunteering abroad/international development

Working/ volunteering abroad will help you learn to adapt to the culture of a foreign country and improve your language skills. It is also something that can set your CV apart from other applicants, when you are job-seeking.
Get more information on summer abroad programmes here.

What you need to know


You will need to budget for flights, acommodation, food and other general expenses. Some students may find that they also have to pay a fee to the host university for special language classes.

There are financial supports available for students who want to study abroad:

  • Erasmus students will usually get an Erasmus mobility grant towards travel costs
  • Many student exchange programmes are funded by scholarships which cover tuition and maintenance cost

If you are an EU citizen, you are entitled to work in other EU member state, so you may consider finding a job to help with the costs.
Students with disabilities or special needs may be entitled to apply for extra funds from the Erasmus programme.


If you are planning to study in a university outside the EU, you may need a study visa. The International Affairs Office in NUI Galway will be able to advise you about the requirements.

Health insurance

The Department of Foreign Affairs recommends that all students going abroad should be covered by comprehensive health and travel insurance policies. Take your European Health Insurance Card with you and think about arranging private health insurance for the duration of your stay. There are a number of companies that offer special health/travel insurance packages for students studying abroad.

Essential documents

In most cases you will need the following items for registration purposes in the host university. Take plenty of copies, as you will probably have to present them on various occasions:

  • A copy of your birth certificate (this may need to be a translated version; your department can help you with this)
  • A supply of passport photographs
  • Your passport
  • For Erasmus students: A letter saying your home university has nominated you as an Erasmus student and that you are in receipt of an Erasmus Mobility Grant. (You will get this from the International Affairs Office at NUI Galway)
  • A confirmation of your aceptance at the university, if applicable.
  • Your European Health Insurance Card

Find out more

International Affairs Office
NUI Galway
International Affairs Office
T 353 91 495 277
F 353 91 495 551