Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose University of Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at University of Galway is all about here.
About University of Galway
About University of Galway
Since 1845, University of Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
University of Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
Business & Industry
Guiding Breakthrough Research at University of Galway
We explore and facilitate commercial opportunities for the research community at University of Galway, as well as facilitating industry partnership.
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At University of Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Publish on theconversation.com
The Conversation is a news analysis and opinion website. It is unique in that it offers collaboration on content written by academics working with professional journalists.
In a decade it has become the world’s leading publisher of research-based news and analysis. In 2022, University of Galway became a member. The work published via theconversation.com is free to read and free to republish under Creative Commons. Founded in Melbourne, Australia in 2011, it now operates as a global network of sites with dedicated teams working in Australia, the US, the UK, France, Africa, Indonesia, Spain and Canada. It counts about 90 UK and European universities among its members.
- The Conversation’s international network (all eight editions) achieved a total viewership of at least 670 million during 2022, with 360 million on-site readers
- Articles published by The Conversation were republished in 96 countries
- Outside of the US, most of the platform’s readers are in Europe. The top 10 countries there are UK, Ireland, Germany, Netherlands, France, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Belgium, Norway.
- After the US, UK, Australia and Canada, its content is most read in India.
- The Conversation’s on-site readership tends to be quite young – 46% of its audience is 18-34.
Here is everything you need to know in order to get published:
Before you make a pitch please feel free to contact our media relations team to talk through your idea – firstname.lastname@example.org or 0864178175
Here are some testimonials from colleagues who have written for theconversation.com
- Dr Maeve O’Sullivan, Lecturer in Human Resource Management and Decent Work, J.E. Cairnes School of Business and Economics, said:
“Writing for theConversation.com is a no-brainer for research dissemination reach and depth. There is no comparison in terms of the professional approach and bang for buck internationally. You have final say on the article and there are always opportunities and possibilities for your work to be republished by media anywhere. TheConversation offers engagement with a global audience and with other researchers in your area of expertise around the world and it can lead to other networking and research opportunities.”
- Dr Brian Tobin, Lecturer in School of Law, said:
"Publishing with The Conversation enabled me to disseminate my research to a very large, global online audience. My first article with The Conversation was subsequently republished on the LSE Europp blog and it also led to my being invited to appear as an expert commentator on Channel NewsAsia. My second article was cited in broadsheet national newspapers in Australia and on 9News (Australia). Publishing with The Conversation enabled me to convey ideas and critique socio-legal issues via an accessible medium and enhance my international profile."
Alternatively, just take the plunge - https://theconversation.com
It’s UK edition averages about 5.5m unique users per month and is also syndicated through PA News, Apple and Reuters. The potential is enormous if we hit on the right topics.
University of Galway has:
- 4 Colleges
- 19 Schools
- 5 Research Institutes
- over 19,000 students
- 4,000 international students from 116 countries
- almost 3,000 staff members
- over 4,600 links with institutes across the globe
- 110,000 alumni worldwide
- 175 years experience providing university education
University of Galway Is:
- The Sunday Times University of the Year 2022
- Ireland's top University for graduate employability with 98% of our graduates employed or in further study within six months of graduating
- ranked in the top 2% of universities worldwide - QS World University Ranking
- the largest and oldest university in the west of Ireland
- listed among the top 30 most beautiful campuses in Europe
- Ireland's leading university for student volunteering with more than 4,000 registered volunteers
- the most biodiverse campus in Ireland
University of Galway is world leading for research in:
- Biomedical Science and Engineering
- Web Science
- Human Rights
- Marine Science, Energy and Environmental Science
- Applied Social Sciences and Public Policy
Humanities, in particular, Literature, Theatre and Irish Studies