Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Mature Student?

An applicant who is over the age of 22 on the 1st of January of the year of application.

What is a School Leaver?

A school leaver is an applicant under the age of 22 on the 1st of January of the year of application.

Who can an applicant get a reference from? 

A referee can be past principal of a school, a manager under whom you worked and who would feel they knew the applicants academic abilities.

What is a P21? 

A P21 is an overview of a person's financial status and is issued by the Revenue each year, to those people who have worked.  Check with the local revenue office if you are still unsure.  Contacts available on

How much is it to do the Access Course? 

At present course costs for those selected are borne by the University, contingent upon funding.

What are the financial/social welfare entitlements once I go to College? 

Each student's circumstances are unique, so no one answer fits all.  Each student should make contact with their local County Council or Vocational Educational Committee finance section to clarify their entitlements. is a very useful web site.

What other options are available to get to College for mature students? 

You can apply direct through the CAO route for mature entry (by Feb 1st) at or there are access21 courses are available as follows:


Clifden (dependent on numbers):           Contact Máire Uí Choisdealbha on 091-869100,


Sligo:                                                        Contact Karen Kennedy on 071 9141406 ext 223



There are several other options which mature students might like to pursue: 


Diploma in Foundation Course in Science, Engineering and IT

Please contact: Trish Hoare, Mature Students Officer, NUI Galway,

E-mail:  Start October 09


Diploma Foundation Course in Commerce/Business Studies: 

Please Contact: Trish Hoare, Mature Students Officer, NUI, Galway,

E-mail: Start October 09


Short Introductory/Diploma/Part-time BA Programme:

Please E-mail:

Will I have access to computer suites?

A reading list will be mailed in advance of course commencement.  Texts will be available in the University bookshop and library.  Students will have access to the library and PC suites for the duration of the programme.  Wi-Fi access is available on campus, should you wish to use your laptop. 

Do I need Medical Insurance?

Yes, you should arrange your own Medical Insurance and bring a copy of relevant documentation with you.  A list of doctors and dentists located close to campus will be included in the information pack at registration.

How do I request a transcript?

Transcripts will be mailed to your home institution unless otherwise requested. 

You may request additional transcript(s) by downloading, completing, and mailing the Transcript Request Form to the address noted on the form. Each transcript request involves a €10.00 charge, which may be paid by bank draft or international money order.