Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose University of Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at University of Galway is all about here.
About University of Galway
About University of Galway
Since 1845, University of Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
University of Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
Business & Industry
Guiding Breakthrough Research at University of Galway
We explore and facilitate commercial opportunities for the research community at University of Galway, as well as facilitating industry partnership.
Alumni & Friends
Alumni & Friends
There are 128,000 University of Galway alumni worldwide. Stay connected to your alumni community! Join our social networks and update your details online.
At University of Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Undergraduate Applications (Non-EU Full Degree)
Students applying for full undergraduate degree programmes from outside of the European Union (EU), and who are liable for full non-EU tuition fees, should apply online via Apply to NUI Galway.
Students applying for undergraduate medicine should apply directly to the School of Medicine, please note that applications for medicine will not be processed by the International Affairs Office.
Documentation Requirements (documents you should have available to upload to your application).
- Please upload originals or certified copies of school transcripts/examination certificates (or forecast results/predicted scores if available). Where an applicant has not yet completed Secondary School (High School), the most recent transcript should be submitted. Transcripts and graduation/examination certificates should be translated into English where necessary.
- For US Applicants a standardised test score is usually required For your SAT scorecard, if you have selected University of Galway, College Board will provide us with your SAT scorecard. For ACT, we hope to receive your scorecard electronically but in the meantime please upload your scorecard to your application when available or alternatively select the University of Galway code and we will receive a copy via post. The University of Galway's SAT code is 5878. The University of Galway ACT code is 5351. Whilst we do recommend that US applicants submit a standardised test score. We will consider the GPA as per the academic transcript along with the usual documentation (personal statement and references), where an SAT is not available.
- A copy of your Passport
- A Personal Statement is important to support your application. We recommend it is (typed) of no more than 800 words outlining your academic interests, sporting and/or cultural interests and your reasons for wanting to study at University of Galway. You may also include aspects of your academic career that are not necessarily reflected in your application. (optional).
- Two Letters of Recommendation ideally from a teacher and/or guidance counsellor or someone who knows you personally. Alternatively, you can provide their contact information when you are applying online (include their e-mail address) and the same will be requested in confidence.
- Please upload IELTS or TOEFL certificate, in the case of applicants whose first language is not English. Please refer to https://universityofgalway.ie/international-students/studyinireland/entryrequirements/ for further information on our English Language Proficiency requirements.
- Some of our Undergraduate Courses may have specific subject requirements such as a higher level of mathematics or that you have studied a foreign language/second language, please check out the 2023 Entry Quick Guide to Subject Requirements below for your course. [Please note that the Irish Language requirements refers to Irish students only]. The 2023 A-Level Quick Guide to Subject Requirements is also featured below. https://www.universityofgalway.ie/media/registry/admissions/A-Level-Quick-Guide-2023.pdf.
- If you have a query about these requirements please contact the International Marketing & Recruitment team e-mail; InternationalMarketingRecruitment@nuigalway.ie
- 2023 Entry - Quick Guide to Subject Requirements
- 2023 A-Level Quick Guide to Subject Requirements
When to Apply
For the September 2023 intake, we opened for applications from 1st October 2022. Decisions on applications are made on a rolling basis, throughout the year, so please ensure to apply as early as possible. Applicants can usually expect a decision within 4-6 weeks of submitting an application.
Applications are now open for September 2023. Applications will close on 30th July 2023. Students who are coming from visa-required countries please be mindful that the Study VISA application process may take 6 to 8 weeks. Students applying for full undergraduate degree programmes from outside of the European Union (EU), should apply online via Apply to University of Galway.
An application fee of €35 will apply when submitting a Non-EU Undergraduate application to NUI Galway (you may apply for up to two programmes).
Apply online to NUI Galway
Create an account on our application portal and apply today! https://nuigalway.elluciancrmrecruit.com/Apply/Account/Login
The Student Voice Podcast Series
Welcome to NUI Galway's Student Voice Podcast Series. Hear from some of our International and Irish Undergraduate Students about their courses and how they are finding life at NUI Galway.
Explore Courses and Careers
Explore NUI Galway’s 75 degree programmes through a series of presentations which are available to stream and download here!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ's)
Frequently asked questions regarding the application process.
NEWS, EVENTS & FEATURES
For more information on student activities, information evenings, open days and all other events of interest.
Undergraduate Prospectus 2024 PDF (14.6MB)
Postgraduate Prospectus 2024 PDF (3.3MB)
Quick Guide to Courses 2024 PDF (1.20MB)
A-Level Quick Guide to Courses 2024 PDF (1.04MB)
Pre-Arrival Guide 2023 PDF (2.1 MB)
Indian Student Guide PDF (2.81MB)
Indonesian Student Guide PDF (1.58MB)
Malaysian Student Guide PDF (1.31MB)
North American Student Guide PDF (1.49MB)
Hong Kong Student Guide PDF (1.12MB)
South African Student Guide PDF (1.14MB)
Central Asia Student Guide PDF (1.14MB)
Nigerian and Ghanaian Guide PDF (1.16MB)