Click here for Health & Wellbeing information and support


Mental Health and Wellbeing 

NUIG 50808 - Crisis textline

NUIG 50808 is a free and confidential 24/7 text response service available to any NUI Galway student or staff member experiencing a crisis of any kind such as relationships, loneliness, job loss, money, assault, high anxiety or low mood.

By texting 'NUIG' to 50808 you will receive a reply within 5 minutes from a highly trained and motivated volunteer who will provide a warm listening ear and signposting to local supports and services. So if you experience a crisis of any kind at any time of the day or night, there is no need to suffer in silence, immediate support is available by texting 'NUIG' to 50808. Your family and friends can also avail of this service by texting ‘Hello’ to 50808.

I am feeling very stressed and anxious,  can I get counselling?

If you would like to set up an appointment please email: Please use your nuigalway email address for all contact with us. 

Please see our website for further details

I'm worried about my mental health?  Are there any services available to contact outside of NUI Galway and working hours?

Yes, there are many resources available outside of the university, that you can contact regarding if you’re worried about your mental health. These services are also available outside of working hours. Please see below. 

  • If you consider yourself to be at risk of self-harm contact your GP or nearest Accident & Emergency Unit.
  • If you were hoping to speak to someone immediately contact:  Samaritans 116 123 (24 hour freephone), Pieta House 1800 247 247 (24 hour freephone), Aware 1800 804 848 (10am-10pm freephone)
  • 24/7 Crisis Text Line: NUIG to 50808

Centre for Clinical Interventions: A suite of self-help tools and workbooks on topics such as assertiveness, depression, panic, disordered eating, procrastination, perfectionism and more.

Department of Education Supports:

How do I contact the Chapel/Chaplaincy?

The Chaplaincy Service is available to support students and staff during normal working hours and outside of working hours, when required. We can be contacted as follows:

Fr Ben Hughes, Chaplain
T: +353 86 203 7538

Jimmy McGovern, Seas Suas Manager
T: +353 83 062 6898

Dolores McAndrew, Administrator
T: +353 91 495055


Student Health Unit

Student Health Unit Website

'Student Health Matters' App

The 'Student Health Matters' App was created by the Irish Student Health Association, the representative body for 3rd level Doctors & Nurses, as a safe, reliable source of evidence-based health information relative to all aspects of health that can affect students and with links related to Irish healthcare services, supports and charities.
Students can access further information and links to download this Free App here
This App is an invaluable tool that absolutely every student should have downloaded to their phones.

Sexual Health & Wellbeing 

What are the rules around sexual consent? 

Sexual consent is ongoing in all sexual relationships (even long-term), and should never be assumed. Consent can be withdrawn at any point during a sexual act, even if you have said yes at the start – people can always change their mind.
Consent needs to be active so OMFG – ongoing, mutual and freely given. You can familiarise yourself with the full law on sexual consent here

How do I know if I have consent if I am engaging in or want to engage in phone sex with a new or established partner?

If you engage in phone sex, sexting or sending/receiving nudes with anyone – a new partner or someone you already know - make sure that the exchange is mutually desired. So talk to your partner(s) before you begin to explore what everyone is comfortable with and again before sending explicit photos.Then be sure to check-in regarding comfort levels – consenting is an active process - ongoing, mutual and freely given (OMFG). 

What should I know before sharing explicit photos with a partner? 

When engaging in phone sex, do not share explicit photos of someone without their consent and only send your photos to people you trust. Sharing explicit photos of someone without their consent is against the law.

What responsibilities do I have if I have photos of someone else on my devices? 

Make sure you have strong and secure passwords on your phone, as well as any social media accounts you might be using to send explicit photos. Make sure you have the senders permission to have their photo stored on your phone. And, see above, never share photos of yourself or anyone else without full consent. 

I need to get an STI test. What services can I contact? 

Registered students of NUI Galway can avail of an appointment for STI testing/treatment via the Student Health Unit, by phoning 091-494337.

For full information on sexual health services and STI treatments, click here.

I need emergency contraception. What can I do?

Pharmacies provide emergency contraception over the counter. 

I’m pregnant and I need an abortion. What do I do? 

Freephone the official HSE abortion helpline My Options on 1800 828 010. For more information, visit here.

I am experiencing violence from my partner I live with. What do I do?

Please see list of service providers and helplines which may be able to help. 

I’ve been sexually assaulted or raped. Are there services still open that I can access for help?

If you have experienced sexual assault or rape contact the Galway Rape Crisis Centre helpline at 1800 355 355 (10AM-1PM, M-F) or consult this guide for availability of services nationwide. 


Please continue to exercise personal responsibility and to follow the public health guidelines

What guidelines must I continue to follow on campus? 

  • Good hand, respiratory and general hygiene is vital for reducing the risk of contracting or spreading COVID-19. Frequent hand washing is necessary and hand sanitisers are available across the campus.

When should I not attend campus?

  • Staff and students must not attend campus if they have tested positive for COVID, are displaying any of the common symptoms of COVID or have been advised to self-isolate or restrict their movements by the HSE.

    Please see HSE website for full advice

When should I wear a face-covering or mask? 

  • You are no longer required to wear a face-covering or mask, when indoors in University buildings.