FAQs Exam Queries:

What examination supports are available if I apply to the Disability Support Service (DSS)?

Exam accommodations are agreed during your needs assessment meeting with a member of the DSS team. The impact of your disability on the examination process is taken into consideration. Reasonable examination accommodations are put in place so you are treated fairly and equitable in the examination process.

How do I know where to go for my exams if I have examination supports?

  1. View your personal exam timetable.
  2. You will see the main examination venues when you logon to view your timetable.
  3. If you have been recommended an alternative exam venue, you will be emailed details of the venue by the DSS. This email is sent the week after the timetable is released.
  4. You will need to refer to your timetable to confirm dates and times.
  5. Always check the amendments for changes to the exam date, time or venue.
  6. If you do not have a personal timetable, you need to contact the Registration Helpdesk immediately and check if you are fully registered. More information on what to do if you cannot see a personal timetable is available here.

What is the difference between End-of-Semester Exams and Departmental (In-class) Exams?

End-of-semester exams are run by the exams office. These are the exams that are listed on the personal timetable. The Disability Support Service liaises with the Exams Office to put Exam Accommodations in place for these exams.

Departmental (in-class) exams are exams or tests that are organised and run by the Module Owners for their Modules. Generally, these tests/exams take place during the semester. Students should contact the Module Owner to request relevant recommended exam accommodations as soon as they know an exam is scheduled. The exam accommodations recommended for a student by the Disability Support Service apply for timed course assessment such as exams. However, some of the recommended accommodations may not be relevant and this will depend on the specific exam. 


Who should I contact if I have difficulties getting my exam accommodations?

If you encounter any difficulty with ensuring required exam accommodations are in place, please contact your Disability Advisor by email. You can find their contact details at the end of your LENS report. You may also email disabilityservice@universityofgalway.ie with any disability-related queries or concerns.

What happens if I miss my end-of-semester exams due to illness?

If you missed a scheduled exam, please contact your College office as soon as possible. 

Can I change my examination accommodations?

You can make an appointment to meet a member of the DSS team to discuss your examination accommodations. In certain instances, additional medical documentation may be required to support a request. 

Please note: Every semester there is a deadline for new exam accommodation requests, or requests for changes to existing exam accommodations. Details of this date are available here.

After this date, any changes that relate to on-campus exam accommodations for end-of-semester exams will be applied for subsequent semester exam sessions, not the current semester.  


General queries

Who should apply to the Disability Support Service (DSS) at the University of Galway?

Support is available to students with a disability:
• Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
• Autism Spectrum Disorder including Asperger’s Syndrome
• Blind/Visual Impairment
• Deaf/Hard of Hearing
• Dyspraxia/Developmental Co-ordination Disorder (DCD)
• Mental Health Condition
• Neurological Condition
• Physical Disability
• Significant On-going Illness
• Specific Learning Difficulty (including dyslexia or dyscalculia)

Why should I apply to the DSS?

Support is available to students with a disability and is granted on the basis of medical evidence.
There are many different kinds of supports available such as:
• Assistive Technology 
• Learning Support 
• Examination Accommodation 
• Personal Assistants 
• Academic Support

How can I apply to the DSS for reasonable accommodations? What do I need?

1. To apply to the Disability Office you must provide verification of your disability, which can either be an Evidence of Disability Form or a Medical Report .
2. All students must complete this online registration form as part of their application to the Disability Office. This online form will only take about 5 minutes to complete.
3. The third step is to meet with a member of the Disability Support Service team who should carry out a full needs assessment.
Visit the How to Apply page for more information.

What happens during a needs assessment?

A needs assessment is a meeting with a member of the Disability Support Service to discuss what reasonable accommodations you may need to achieve equity of access to teaching, learning and assessment in third level. Every student who registers with DSS has an individual needs assessment meeting to consider the best combination of supports to meet your needs. Supports may include learning support, assistive technology and examinations accommodations.
The outcome of the needs assessment meeting is summarised in your Learning Educational Needs Summary (LENS). You can request a meeting to review your LENS if your wish to discuss changes to it.

Do I need to re-apply to the Disability Support Service (DSS)? 

No, once a student has successfully completed their application with the Disability Support Service, your recommended supports remain in place for the duration of your studies in University of Galway.

I am studying at Shannon College of Hotel Management and have a question about the reasonable accommodations I had last year.

Please contact disabilityservice@universityofgalway.ie for information.

Do I need to send my LENS report to my lecturers?

No, students do not need to send copies of their LENS Report to lecturers. As part of a student’s initial application process with the Disability Support Service, and with the student’s permission, the Disability Support Service makes the details of a student’s recommended reasonable accommodations available to staff members on a central system.

No information about the nature of a student’s disability is communicated, just the exam accommodations and in-class supports that have been recommended.


What is the best way to contact my Disability Advisor?

The best way to contact your Disability Advisor is by emailing them directly. Your Disability Advisor’s name and contact details should be given at the bottom of your LENS report. Alternatively, you can contact our Administrators at disabilityservice@universityofgalway.ie for Disability Advisor contact details.

I think I have dyslexia. What should I do? What if a student thinks they may have Dyslexia/Learning difficulty?

If a student thinks they have an issue with reading, writing and/or spelling the Disability Support Service may be able to offer you a screening for Dyslexia. This screening is a series of short tests the results of which should give an indication of whether they are ‘at risk’ of Dyslexia or not. Please note that the screenings ordinarily take place in Semester 2 and during the summer. Please contact the Disability Support Service at disabilityservice@universityofgalway.ie for further information and updates.

I am concerned that I may have Attention Deficit Disorder/Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADD/ADHD). What should I do?

You should contact your GP and discuss your specific concerns about concentration or attention difficulties. The GP will be able to refer you on to a Psychiatrist or Psychologist as appropriate for assessment. University of Galway’s Disability Support Service does not conduct any screening for ADD/ADHD. You may find it useful to visit ADHD Ireland’s website for further information.

Does the University need to know that I have a disability?

Yes, by disclosing your disability it means that you will be assisted in accessing appropriate supports and exam accommodations to help you complete your studies successfully. The decision to disclose is up to you, but if the DSS is not aware of your disability, it will be very difficult for you to access additional supports.

Can I request a review of my supports and accommodations?

If there has been a change in your disability/health condition, course requirements, or if the supports in place are no longer suitable, you can contact your Disability Advisor to request a review. Please note that the beginning of a new academic year is extremely busy for the Disability Support Service with new applications, but we will do our best to meet your needs in a timely manner.

I am going on placement this year and feel that I may need additional support. What should I do?

All information relating to placement planning, including the link to request a meeting with the Placement Planning Coordinator, is available here. You can also contact your Disability Advisor to discuss your placement plans and any supports you may require.

I am changing my course or progressing to postgraduate studies, do I need to contact the DSS?

Yes, you should contact your Disability Advisor who will update your LENS report with this information.