Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose University of Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at University of Galway is all about here.
About University of Galway
About University of Galway
Since 1845, University of Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
University of Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
Business & Industry
Guiding Breakthrough Research at University of Galway
We explore and facilitate commercial opportunities for the research community at University of Galway, as well as facilitating industry partnership.
Alumni & Friends
Alumni & Friends
There are 128,000 University of Galway alumni worldwide. Stay connected to your alumni community! Join our social networks and update your details online.
At University of Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Autumn Conferring 2023
Look back at the Autumn Conferring 2023 below
- Tuesday 15th to Friday 18th August 2023
- Undergraduate Bachelor
All Colleges (except College of Medicine, Nursing & Health Sciences)
Undergraduates passing at Official Examination 1st Sitting Results Release only.
Students passing 1st Sitting after this date and all 2nd Sitting and Deferred students may be eligible for the next conferring - Winter Conferring
PhD, MD, Masters Research only (Postgraduate Research Deadline : 20th June 2023)
* Eligible Graduands - to be eligible to be conferred, graduands must have passed their exams and cleared their fees by relevant deadlines.
- An email with further information relating to the Autumn Conferring has been sent to eligible graduands.
- If you have not received an email, please check that you are eligible to be conferred (passed exams and fees paid by deadlines).
- If you have not received an email in relation to upcoming conferring ceremony and have concerns, please contact email@example.com or phone +353 91494402.
- For any issues accessing University email accounts, please refer to, MFA - University of Galway.
- Graduands will receive invitations to their conferring ceremony when collecting their robes from the official robemakers, Phelan Conan Ltd.
- Each graduand will receive invitations to admit 1 graduand and 2 guests.
- The Seminar Rooms GO10/GO11, in the Hardiman Research Building (inside the foyer of the James Hardiman Library) are the collection and drop-off locations for robes. (Link from google maps )
- The conferring ceremony will also be livestreamed, and link will be available on www.universityofgalway.ie/conferring
- Unfortunately, it is not possible to facilitate any requests for extra invitations for any conferring ceremonies.
- The conferring ceremony will be livestreamed in the Bank of Ireland Theatre, O'Donoghue Centre, which is adjacent to the Bailey Allen Hall.
- Each ceremony usually takes approximately 1.5 hours and as such is not a suitable event for children under 5.
- Children are allowed to attend the conferring ceremony, however they will count as part of your 2 allocated guest tickets (not in addition).
- In the interest of safety, prams/buggies are not permitted in the conferring hall.
- Guest seating is located to the far left and far right in the Bailey allen Hall.
Location of Conferring ceremony:
- Bailey Allen Hall, Áras na Macléinn, University of Galway.
- Refreshments will be served afterwards in the HBB Building.
- The Conferring ceremonies will be live-streamed on the day.
Deadlines for Autumn 2023 Conferring
OUTSTANDING FEES DEADLINE : 19th June 2023
Unless any outstanding fees due are paid in full by close of business on 19th June, you will not be invited to attend the Autumn Conferring.
POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH DEADLINE: 20th June 2023
All steps of the thesis submission process must be completed by this date. Please see process for submitting thesis on Examinations page for information.
NAME CHANGE DEADLINE : 4th July 2023
POSTAL ADDRESS CHANGE DEADLINE : 14th August 2023. Please check you postal address is up to date by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fees & Exams
All students must satisfy the academic requirements of their programme as per Marks and Standards and they must pay all outstanding programme fees by the stated deadline.
All students to be conferred must wear the correct Academic Robes as directed by the National University of Ireland: http://www.nui.ie/publications/docs/AcademicDressBooklet.pdf
The official robemakers for University of Galway are Phelan Conan Ltd.
The deadline date to pre order online is Midnight Wednesday 9th August 2023. Robes can be pre ordered online at www.phelanconan.com
The pre-paid hire fee is €45 or Pay on the Day hire fee is €50.
Gown collection and drop-off location : The Seminar Rooms GO10/GO11, The Hardiman Research Building (adjacent to James Hardiman Library).
Students can collect their invitation and two guest Invitations in Seminar Room G010/G011, The Hardiman Building.
Gown Collection Times:
Tuesday 15th August
10:30am Ceremony – Evening before between 4pm-7pm or 8am-10am on the day
2:30pm Ceremony - Evening before between 4pm-7pm or 11am-2pm on the day.
Wednesday 16th August
10:30am Ceremony – Evening before between 3pm-6pm or 8am-10am on the day.
Thursday 17th August
10:30am Ceremony – Day before between 11am-2pm or 8am-10am on the day
2:30pm Ceremony - Day before between 11am-2pm or 11am-2pm on the day
Friday 18th August
10:30am Ceremony - Evening before between 3pm-6pm or 8am-10am on the day
2:30pm Ceremony - Evening before between 3pm-6pm or 11am-2pm on the day.
All gowns must be returned as soon as possible after the conclusion of your ceremony.
For more information on Robe hire click here.
Your conferring day is a big celebration for you, your friends and family.
To honour the occasion, Lafayette Photography have been appointed as the official photographers.
Pre-book your graduation photography online on www.lafayette.ie to activate your private gallery and to view prices.
Parking is heavily restricted on the main campus and clamping is in operation.
A park & ride service is available from the Dangan Park & Ride to the Orbsen Building (adjacent to the Bailey Allen Hall) at regular intervals.
- The first park & ride shuttle bus will leave the Dangan Park & Ride Carpark at 8am
- The last park & ride shuttle bus will leave the Orbsen building at 6.30pm
Please see Parking Locations on Campus which indicates the location of the disabled parking spaces on the University of Galway campus.
A valid parking permit is required if parking in disabled parking spaces.
Note : the conferring ceremonies will take place in the Bailey Allen Hall in Áras na Mac Léinn ( No. 6 on the map). For more information, please refer to University of Galway Map
Name on Degree Parchment
The name on your parchment is the name you supplied the university with when applying for your course.
Please ensure your name is correct for the issue of parchments (this includes accents, apostrophes, etc) - check your Registration Statement and / or Transcript of Results to confirm.
NAME CHANGE DEADLINE is 4th July 2023.
Posting of Degree Parchment
All parchments for graduates conferred In Absentia are posted to Home Addresses within 2 weeks of each respective ceremony.
Please ensure your home address is up to date. Postal address change deadline is 14th August 2023.
Address details can be updated by clicking on the following link for the Student Registry Helpdesk: http://www.universityofgalway.ie//student-registry-helpdesk/our-services/name-address/
Deferrals (PhD only)
Deferral of Conferring: MD and PhD graduands only may request to defer their graduation once to the next session only.
Email email@example.com with your request to defer no later than 2 weeks before your conferring date.