Where and when can I collect petty cash?

Petty Cash may be obtained from the Financial Accounting Office in the quadrangle by a pre-arranged appointment only.  Please email Máire.Aherne@univeristyofgalway.ie.

Which form do I need to collect petty cash?

To claim petty cash, you must print off and complete the Petty Cash Release Form‌ ensuring that it is signed by the budget holder or an authorised nominee.

By signing the petty cash release form you certify adherence to the Petty Cash Policy (see section 6 of the NUIG Treasury Management Policy).

What can petty cash be used for?

Petty cash may only be used  to cover small incidental items of necessary business expenditure, which cannot be procured through the University's procurement system.  Individual items of expenditure should not exceed €50.  Please refer to Petty Cash procedure for further detail Petty Cash Procedure  

How much petty cash can I get?

Budget holders should assess their petty cash requirements and hold the minimum balance possible whilst meeting operational requirements.  It is recommended that this limit should not exceed €50.  Where a budget holder requires a float in excess of the policy maximum a written request must be made to the Director Financial Accounts or Bursar for authorisation if appropriate.

Do I need to keep receipts for petty cash?

Yes, all receipts must be retained for inspection. The retention period for petty cash support documentation is the current year plus six years.

Can petty cash be used to pay individuals for work?

Petty Cash may NOT be used to pay individuals for work. Such expenditure must be paid via Payroll.  Please see details in relation to Casual Payments on the Payroll Office website.