Emergencies, Fire and First Aid

What is my first point of contact in an emergency?

  • In a significant emergency requiring the emergency services (ambulance, fire brigade, gardaí) phone 112/999 and specify the service(s) you require. 
  • In a first aid or medical emergency contact the nearest  in the interim.  
    You should also contact University of Galway Security at ext. 3333 for additional assistance. 
  • For Buildings related emergencies you should contact ext. 2134 during office hours 
    or phone ext. 3333 out of hours.

Ensure you do not put yourself at risk and to be prepared to respond before an emergency arises.

What emergency and first aid procedures are there in University of Galway?

Instructions on what to do in the event of a fire, emergency telephone numbers and accident reporting steps are available at Emergency Information 

What is an AED?

An Automated External Defibrillator (AED) is used to treat victims of sudden cardiac arrest.  Currently the survival rate for sudden cardiac conditions is very poor, typically 1% but if an AED is used promptly, the victims chances of survival can increase significantly, e.g. if an AED is used within five minutes the victim has a 50% chance of survival.

Where are AEDs located?

There are 20 AEDs on campus, there are also AED's in Áras Shorcha Ní Ghuairim, Carna and Áras Uí Chadhain, An Cheathru Rua and on the University of Galway Park and Ride buses

Please see links for further detail:
Locations of AED's in University of Galway
AED Map 

Who are trained to use AED's in University of Galway?  

There are over 180 staff in University of Galway trained to use AEDs.  This includes all and staff in the Student Health Unit and the School of Nursing and Midwifery.    

If I'm not trained, how can I help?

All members of the University of Galway Community should familiarise themselves with:
- the locations of the AEDs and 
- who are the trained University of Galway personnel that should be contacted in the event of coming across an unconscious person.  

How can I find out who the first aiders in my area are?

You will find a full list of First Aid Respondersshould also be completed by all Units and displayed in promient locations through the buildings they occupy displaying this information.  

What should I know before I deal with an emergency?

You need to know the following to be ready to respond to an emergency:

  1. The main emergency numbers, including those on the Emergency Contact Numbers Card;
  2. The location of the nearest telephone(s) and confirm that they are available for use, e.g. that the phone line is not barred;
  3. The  in your Unit and their contact phone number(s).

In the case of a serious accident or other emergency, contact the emergency services directly by phoning 112/999. Take appropriate action to ensure the safety of casualties, and that the area is otherwise made safe.

What do I need to know when dealing with an emergency situation?

  • Do not put yourself or others at risk. At all times the most important consideration is human safety.
  • Familiarise yourself with fire emergency procedures, and other arrangements, in advance.
  • Act responsibly and methodically, with due care for your safety and the safety of others.
  • The senior member of staff must take local control of the situation, ensuring the safe evacuation of all persons present and be prepared to warn the emergency services of any known special hazards.
  • After any incident or injury, the event must be reported to the Health and Safety Office using the University of Galway Accident Report Form/University of Galway First Aid form.  This is required for preventive purposes and in certain cases is also a legal requirement.

What details should I give when telephoning for assistance in an emergency?

Dial 9-112/9-999 from any internal phone or 112/999/ from a public phone or mobile phone – you will be connected to the emergency services directly.

Specify the service you require, i.e. ambulance, fire brigade, gardaí etc, and give the following details:

  • the phone number from which you are calling;
  • the type of emergency and assistance required;
  • the location where assistance is required and directions to get there.

Do not hang up until you are satisfied that your message has been correctly received and that the emergency services have all the details they require. You should then:

  • dial 3333 or 9-(091)-493333 for Security and request their assistance, including directing the emergency services to the required location (confirm building and exact room number);
  • if possible, have someone wait at the entrance to the building to bring the emergency personnel directly to the required location.

What do I do if I hear a fire alarm?

You need to respond in accordance with the NUI Galway Instructions in event of fire (english)/Instructions in event of fire (Irish).

Where the alarm is ringing continuously -

  1. Evacuate the building by nearest exit.
  2. Close all doors after you.
  3. Do not use lifts and
  4. Do not re-enter the building.

Safety on Campus

What do I need to do if I have a health & safety issue?

Where an employee become aware of a health and safety issue, whether it is a defect, danger or other workplace safety issue, they must report it to their employer or other appropriate person. This means that employees need to be conscious of health and safety issues in their own workplace and in any other University locations they are in, and to report them to the responsible person as soon as they become aware of them .  

  • In the case of buildings issues, report them to Buildings & Estates directly at extension 2134 in an emergency or otherwise via your local Building Liaison person.
  • If it is an issue within your Unit, report them to your Head and Safety Co-ordinator.
  • If it relates to a University construction site, report it to Buildings & Estates Planning and Development Unit.
  • In other cases or if in doubt, report it to the University Safety Office.
  • You may also wish to raise it with your local Safety Representative for consultation purposes, but it would not necessarily be their role to act on such reports.

To whom should I report an accident?

Accidents must be reported within 24 hours via your Head of Unit to the University of Galway Safety Office, using the University of Galway Accident Report Form

First Aid incidents must be reported using the University of Galway First Aid form.
Legislation requires that certain workplace accidents be reported to the Health and Safety Authority by the NUI Galway Safety Office. 

What should I do if I detect a burning smell?

All emergencies/safety issues should be immediately reported to the Buildings Office on extension 2134. In the case of fire, contact Security on ext 2198 (ext 3333 out of office hours) having activated the builidng fire alarm (break glass unit).

How do I report an emergency or a hazard such as slippery footpaths?

All emergencies/safety issues should be reported to Buildings & Estates on extension 2134.

What is a DSE/Computer Workstation assessment?

Where employees habitually use computers or other forms of Display Screen Equipment as a significant part of their normal work, they may be affected by physical and/or visual discomfort if their workstation is inappropriately set up or used. A number of employees have been trained as Computer Workstation/DSE Assessors to assess the safety aspects of computer workstations on behalf of the Heads of Units. 

For further information, go to: DSE Workstation Assessments.

If my workstation needs to be assessed, who do I contact?

A number of employees have been trained as Computer Workstation/DSE Assessors to assess the safety aspects of staff computer work stations on behalf of Heads of Units. 

A programme of assessments is underway, but if you have any immediate queries or issues please contact your Unit Safety Co-Ordinator or DSE/Computer Workstation Assessors

What smoking restrictions apply at University of Galway?

Smoking is not allowed in any building in the University. For further information, see here.

Where can I get information on Eye & Eyesight Testing?

In accordance with the Display Screen Equipment Regulations, Univerity of Galway as the employer has put the following eye and eyesight test arrangements in place for those staff who are defined as employees for the purposes of these regulations (see Eye & Eyesight Testing Application Form).   

Eligible staff must first complete the application form and have it authorised by their Head of Unit.  This form is then sent to the Safety Office for processing.  Units cover the cost of the voucher for their staff, please allow 2-3 weeks for voucher to be issued.  Where staff require corrective appliances i.e. glasses exclusively for their University work on display screen equipment, this must be verified by the optician and the cost of this will be covered by the voucher.  Single vision lenses only are covered by this scheme.  Any additional costs that the employee chooses to have must be paid by the employee themselves.