Human Resources: General Queries

Where is the HR Office?

The HR Office is located in the Quadrangle. Please also see: Maps - University of Galway

What is the university's registered number?


When are monthly salary payments made?

Monthly salary payments at University of Galway are made on the third last working day of each month by direct debit into your bank account.  Further information can be found here: Payment Dates - University of Galway

When are weekly salary payments made?

Weekly salary payments at University of Galway are made each Friday by direct debit into your bank account. Further information can be found here: Payment Dates - University of Galway

Where do I get staff salary scales?

The staff salary scales are available here Pay Scales - University of Galway

Where do I get a staff ID card?

ID cards are issued by the Human Resources Office. The contact number is 353 91 524411, Extension:  2151. For further information can be found here: Staff ID Cards - University of Galway

What is the staff PC scheme?

Computer Services in conjunction with the Human Resource's Office administers a Staff PC scheme. This is only relevant to new academic staff. 

For further information on the Staff PC scheme, please see Academic Staff Computer Scheme - University of Galway

What is a PPS number?

A Personal Public Service number is your unique reference number for all your dealings with the Public Service (e.g. applying to the tax office for a tax credits certificate, applying to the Department of Social, Community, and Family Affairs for a Social Welfare payment scheme etc.) The PPS number replaces the RSI number (Revenue and Social Insurance Number). If you already have an RSI number this is now your Personal Public Service number.  

More information about the PPS number can be obtained here: gov - How to get a Public Services Card (PSC) or Personal Public Service (PPS) Number (

Where do I get a PPS number?

The number may be obtained at the local Social Welfare Office in Augustine Street, Galway which is located beside the City library. It is not possible to get a PPS number before entering the country if you are entering Ireland for the first time. (Contact number: 00 353 91 566191)

Where and where do I apply for a work permit?

The Employment Permits Act 2003 states that a Non-EU national may not work in the State without an employment permit having been granted by the Minister for Enterprise, Trade, & Employment. 
The Human Resources Office will process and make contact with the Department of Enterprise, Trade, & Employment in relation to all work permit applications in respect of prospective employees or renewal of work permits for existing employees. 

More information on work permit requirements may be found on the Employment Permits - DETE ( 

For Research staff, further information on hosting agreements can be found here Fast Track Work Permit for Non-EU R&D (Hosting Agreement Scheme) | EURAXESS

How do I apply for a post?

Simply log on to the Jobs & Vacancies page. A list of current vacancies will appear and by clicking on each one a job information pack will load up which gives you the instructions on how to apply.

How will I know if you have received my application?

When you apply for a post, you will receive an acknowledgment card or an email to confirm that we have received your application. If you have not received an acknowledgement within 5 working days  please contact 

Will you accept my application after the closing date?

No, the University has a very strict policy on this and cannot accept any application past the 5:00 p.m. deadline (Irish time) on the closing date.

When will I hear if I have been invited for interview?

All candidates who apply for any post will be informed as soon as possible by letter regarding the outcome of their application i.e. whether or not they have been shortlisted for interview. If you have not received the result of the shortlist within 5 weeks please contact 

Where are the universities dining facilities?

Campbell Catering operate nine restaurants while the Student Union operate two.

  • Campbell Catering
  • An Bhialann
  • The Junction
  • St. Anthony's
  • Áras na Gaeilge
  • Clinical Science
  • Nuns Island
  • Arts Millennium Building
  • Coffee on Line
  • Common Room
  • Staff Room
  • SU Catering
  • Smokey Joes
  • SU Bar Catering

For information on opening hours, menus, click here

Is there a bank located on the university?

Yes. There is a Bank of Ireland located at the end of the concourse building. Information on banks and banking in Galway is available here