Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose University of Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at University of Galway is all about here.
About University of Galway
About University of Galway
Since 1845, University of Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
University of Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
Business & Industry
Guiding Breakthrough Research at University of Galway
We explore and facilitate commercial opportunities for the research community at University of Galway, as well as facilitating industry partnership.
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At University of Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Research Metric Tools (SciVal)
Research Metrics Tools
NUI Galway has a number of research tools to assist the research community.
- IRIS (Institutional Research Information System ); NUI Galway's internal research database is an-easy-to-use web-based application that allows users to maintain, update and publicise their research profiles. Once published it allows colleagues and others to more easily access and cite your work. Each individual within NUI Galway is responsible for their own research profile as published on IRIS. The IRIS scholarly output metric per School level is extracted for internal KPI metrics. Therefore to ensure internal KPI’s accurately reflect your output, please ensure your IRIS profile is up to date. The IRIS system is integrated with the ARAN database – NUI Galway’s Institutional Repository.
- ARAN ( Access to Research at NUI Galway), ARAN is the digital repository of open access scholarly publications from NUI Galway. ARAN collects, preserves and makes freely available scholarly communication, including peer-reviewed articles, working papers and conference papers created by NUI Galway researchers. Where material has already been published it is made available subject to the open-access policies of the original publishers. This process is handled by the NUI Galway library.
- Scopus is the largest abstract and citation database of peer-reviewed literature: scientific journals, books and conference proceedings. It covers nearly 22,000 titles from over 5,000 publishers. Delivering a comprehensive overview of the world's research output in the fields of Science, Technology, Medicine, Social Sciences, and Arts & Humanities.
- SciVal is a research analytic tool which provides quick, easy access to the research performance of over 9,000 research institutions and 220 nations worldwide. It is the interface tool for Scopus and enables you to visualize individual, subject level or institutional research performance, analyse research trends, benchmark relative to peers, and develop collaborative partnerships. It provides both summary and detailed metrics from the Scopus database, such as scholarly output, citation count and citation impact. The SciVal tool highlights which metrics are deemed Snowball metrics (global standard metrics useful for benchmarking).
- ORcid (Open Researcher and Contributor ID) is a non-proprietary alphanumeric code to uniquely identify scientific and other academic authors and contributors.
ORCID provides a unique identifier for individuals to use with their name as they engage in research, scholarship, and innovation activities. This persistent digital identifier distinguishes them from every other researcher and, through integration in key research workflows such as manuscript and grant submission, supports automated linkages between them and their professional activities ensuring that their work is fully captured and recognised.
Click here to see Publishing Guidelines for managing your research profile and see How to broaden your Research Impact
6th April 2022
QS Subject Ranks show Unversity of Galway achieved a rank in 22 subjects, up 3 from last year. Hospitality & Leisure Management ( Shannon College ), Physics & Astronomy and Archaeology all achieved a rank this year.