Pre-Departure Requirements

For your international outbound activity the following is required:

  • Research, completion and approval of a Mobility Assessment particular to your mobility, by you and your College.
  • Completion of a Student Declaration outlining understanding your responsibilities around due diligence, good public health practices, insurance, and finances. 
  • Submission of Emergency Contact details of next-of-kin  
  • A valid insurance policy and understanding where exclusions apply to infectious diseases.
  • Attendance at a minimum of one Pre-Departure Briefing‌
  • An Organisational Assessment (completed by employers) – only required for Placements/Traineeships

Consult the information below to assist you working through these requirements in partnership with your College/School.

Throughout the process of planning, we aim to recognise your independence and agency in undertaking your time abroad. Students are expected to give due attention to the planning of their mobility especially with regard to risks and personal safety. To facilitate this each student must submit a Mobility Assessment prior to travel. The form has been designed as prompt for students to ensure and record that they have appropriately considered their own needs, their travel arrangements, health (including public health) factors, local and regional conditions and the study and/or work environment they are going to spending time in. Just because you have insurance does not mean that you don’t need to consider and manage your own risk in other ways.

A sample of the Mobility Assessment form can be viewed here – Outbound Mobility Assessment .

Please note that the sample given above is for illustration purposes only, i.e. not completion and submission. A link to complete your own Mobility Assessment will be issued to you directly from your College/Student. If you have not received one, please enquire with them directly.

Please refer to this guide to help you with completing your own Mobility Assessment. Mobility Assessment Guide

Your College/School contact can also help in completing the Assessment and you should consider conferring with friends and family as you are making plans for your trip.

In addition to the Mobility Assessment every student must carefully read and sign a Study Abroad Declaration. This is an undertaking of your responsibilities around due diligence, good public health practices, insurance, and finances. It includes an acknowledgement by you that you have studied, understand and accept the risks that may be involved in taking part in study or placement abroad, including those uncertainties that are faced during the current global health emergency.

Sample Student Declaration – Study Abroad Declaration

Please note that the sample given above is for illustration purposes only, i.e. not completion and submission. A link to complete your own Student Declaration will be issued in tandem with the Mobility Assessment to you directly from your College/Student. If you have not received one, please enquire with them directly.

Your College/School will provide guidance for estimates of costs for your particular destination country as part of their pre-departure preparation programme.

Travel Insurance is a type of insurance that covers a pre-planned trip and will reimburse the policyholder if certain unforeseen circumstances occur.  Students participating in outbound mobility and international placements must have appropriate travel insurance in place. 

There are a number of Insurance providers in Ireland who can provide cover. 

  1. Backpackers Travel Insurance | Long Stay Travel | AIG Ireland
  2. Chubb Insurance Backpackers Travel Insurance Travel Insurance – Get a quote online | Chubb Insurance (
  3. Aviva Backpackers Travel Insurance - Travel Insurance Quotes 20% Off | Holiday Insurance - Aviva Ireland
  4. Allianz Backpackers Travel Insurance - Backpacker Travel Insurance | Allianz Assistance (
  5. Blue Insurance Backpackers Insurance -
  6. Pro-Trip World (Dr-Walter) - 

 There are different levels of cover available, which provide different levels of benefit under the policy and Students are advised to familiarise themselves with the cover types available.  

University of Galway Insurance Cover Requirements & Recommendations:

  • Medical Expenses to include Repatriation – at least €1 Million
  • Personal Liability – at least €500,000
  • Cancellation/Curtailment/Rearrangement – Highly recommended
  • Baggage /Personal Items/ Money/ Passport – Highly recommended

Other important considerations when purchasing insurance:

  • Duration of the Policy cover – you need to ensure that your Travel Insurance covers the entire duration of your time abroad
  • Material Facts – please ensure you disclose all relevant material facts to your Insurers. For example, a pre-existing medical condition.
  • COVID 19 Cover – please ensure you check and review the policy carefully in relation to COVID 19 costs and expenses. Policies differ from one Insurer to another in relation to the coverage offered.
  • Excluded Territories – all policies will include an Excluded Territory List. Please ensure you are familiar with same and discuss any issues/concerns with your Insurer.
  • Exclusions – please read the Policy before purchasing to understand the specific exclusions.
  • Holidays/returning home – if you intend to take a holiday during your trip abroad or return home please check that this is covered by your policy before travelling.
  • Winter Sports – if you intend to participate in any winter sports during your time abroad please ensure this is covered by your Policy.
  • It’s important to check the policy Terms and Conditions at the time of purchase as these can change frequently

Students are reminded that it is your responsibility to ensure that you obtain a policy which satisfies the University requirements and your own needs in advance of departure and to ensure you have adequate cover in place for the duration of your time abroad.

Further information on travel insurance in Ireland is available through the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission. Travel insurance - CCPC

Please note that some partner universities (for example some in the US) require you to buy a particular policy that they source. In these instances it can be more expensive than you might be able to find at home. Some host universities will also require you to provide them with details of your private travel insurance policy.

Make sure that you keep a record of any emergency numbers provided by the insurance company incase you have to make a claim. Having the details readily to hand will alleviate some of the stress if you are in a difficult situation. Should you find yourself in circumstances where you will have to make a claim, you should contact the insurance company immediately, as a delay in doing this could affect your claim.

Cover Under a Family Health Insurance Plan
You may wish to investigate whether travel for your stay abroad under your own or your parents’ private health insurance plan is adequate. You will need to confirm the cover requirements as given above are met completely. You can establish this by reading the policy document and by contacting the health insurance company directly. You may be able to purchase additional cover for travel insurance if this is not included in an existing health insurance policy.

IMPORTANT NOTE for EU Citizens Travelling to EU Countries

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is essential for every EU citizen travelling to another European country; as a student, it entitles you to necessary healthcare in the public system of any EU/EEA member state. The EHIC provides for basic health cover, but what constitutes basic cover may vary from one country to another, and in some cases the patient will be required to make a contribution to the costs of care in the public health system, so it’s advisable to check the website to get precise information on the different countries. You can also apply for the card via that website. One card is needed for each individual or member of a family. The EHIC is not a substitute for travel insurance, however, and it’s quite limited in what it covers. Healthcare in a private setting is not included, nor is the cost of repatriation, or the additional travel and accommodation costs that can accrue in a case of illness or an accident abroad. You will also need to be covered for eventualities like cancelled/delayed flights and lost luggage. This is where private travel insurance comes in.

It is important that we can contact you and you can contact us while you abroad. Your College/Unit will request and keep a record of:

  • Your contact information while abroad
  • Emergency contact / next of kin contacts for you

Do not depart without providing these. 

If there are updates while you are away - of address or phone numbers for example - then please inform your College/School asap.

You will be given a primary University of Galway contact prior to departure.

Ongoing communication while you are away will be normally conducted via your @nuigalway email address.

We've set out some useful information below for you to remember to do before you depart, or download a printable copy: Pre-departure Checklist.

Passport / Visa

Passport Check it’s valid for six months after you return.

Visa Ensure you apply for this in time if needed for your destination.


Weather Check the climate in your host destination and pack appropriately.

Mobile Phone Check what’s included with your data roaming, or if you require a local sim card.

Multi-factor authentication (MFA) If you’ve set up MFA for your university e-mail account or online banking, you may to change this before you leave so you don’t get locked out of accounts. 

Arrival Research how you will get from the airport to your accommodation. Check that any prearranged accommodation is available to check in at your arrival time.

Electronics Buy an adapter or converter. If bringing a laptop, you may want to take out personal property insurance. 

Pre-Departure Session It’s important to attend this before you go.


Budget Know your financial needs. Make a budget in advance of departure. 

Banking Check you can access your bank account online whilst away. It’s a good idea to bring some local currency in cash to use initially.


Policy Understand your travel and health insurance coverage. Save the emergency number of your provider.

European Health Insurance Card Bring it with you for EU destinations.


Erasmus Grant Complete and return any requested paperwork. 

Host University Documentation Complete and return anything requested by your host university/organisation. Check your host destination e-mail account regularly as this is likely where most of their communication will he sent to.

Mobility Assessment Research, complete and submit the Mobility Assessment. Update it if circumstances change before you depart. Review, understand and submit the Student Declaration.

Emergency Contacts Store these in your phone and create a list to bring with you.

Photocopies Bring copies / photographs of important documents. It can also be useful to leave a set at home with a trusted family member.

Registration Complete your online registration at University of Galway before you depart.

Itinerary Don’t forget to share this with family and friends

Support Services

Disability Support Services If registered with DSS at University of Galway, ensure you’ve registered with a similar service at your host before arrival. 

Medication / Immunisations

Prescriptions Confirm arrangements for any medical needs, including prescription supply or contact lenses.

Immunisations Check if any are required for your host destination.

  • Passport
  • Visa Documentation, if applicable.
  • Nomination letter from University of Galway
  • Host University letter of acceptance
  • Proof of your private travel insurance
  • Proof of your health insurance, where applicable.
  • European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), if applicable.
  • ID Cards such as a Drivers Licence, University of Galway student card, or International Student Card