How do I avoid emergency or incorrect tax deductions?

Please review payroll website where we outline "How to avoid emergency or incorrect tax".

Where do I get my certificate of tax credits?

Please see information about this on our website "Tax Documents".

Why am I paying no Tax or less than expected?

Your cumulative tax credits might be more than the cumulative tax due in a particular pay period. In this case, tax is not deducted from your pay for that period. You may also not have used all your tax credits in previous months due to not working but you are still entitled to your tax credits for the full year. In this case, you may pay less tax for a number of month's directly after the months you never worked. 

You can use this worksheet to calculate your tax payable (cumulative basis).

Why is my PAYE/Tax so high?

You may be paying emergency tax or Revenue may have changed your tax details which resulted in lower tax credits and cut-off point to what you had previously.

You need to review your tax credit certificate/tax details available in Revenue's "myAccount". Or you should contact Revenue to ascertain the reason for same. Please see further information on how to avoid emergency or incorrect tax.

How do I access my P60 cert?

Log into Core Portal - to access P60s for years 2013 to 2018.

Changes from 2019:

  • Your 2018 P60 is the last P60 you will receive from any employer due to PAYE Modernisation.
  • In replacement of P60s will be an "End of year statement" which will be available to you in "myAccount" on Revenu On Line.
  • Please see revenue website for further information about this.

What is the impact on my tax when I've been overpaid?

PAYE Modernisation has had a significant impact on a number of procedures since its introduction by Revenue on 1 January 2019. One significant development has been in remuneration of overpayments.

Overpayments in remuneration in the current tax year - must be recouped in the shortest possible timeframe on a GROSS PAY basis within the tax year. You can receive tax and PRSI refunds via your payroll for overpayments that happened in the current tax year.

Overpayments in remuneration for previous years - Gross overpayment is deducted from the employees net pay via payroll. The employee will have to wait for a refund of tax and PRSI until the overpayment is paid in full for the previous year and apply to Revenue with a letter provided by payroll.

What happens with my tax details when I leave University of Galway?

When you leave an employment after 31 December 2018, your employer must enter your leaving date when submitting details of your final pay and deductions to Revenue.

From 1 January 2019, you can view details of your ceased employment in myAccount. This is done through the Manage your tax service, which includes your pay and tax details. There is a facility to print these employment details if required.

The Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection no longer require a P45 for claims.

How does PAYE Modernisation affect your pay?

Your employer uses a Revenue Payroll Notification when calculating your tax & USC deductions. They must also report these deductions to Revenue every time you are paid.

You will be able to view pay and deductions reported by your employer to Revenue on myAccount. When you sign in to myAccount, you can check the:

  • latest information payroll sent to Revenue
  • correct details are being reported regarding your pay and deductions (these details should match your payslip).

You will be able to see your payroll information once it has been included on your employer's monthly return. The due date for your employer's monthly return is the fifteenth of the following month. You will be able to view payments reported by your employer in a month once the return has been received. For example, you will be able to see any payments made in April after 15 May. 

Your 2018 P60 is the last P60 you will receive from your employer. At the end of 2019 Revenue will issue you with an End of Year Statement.

What services do Revenue provide?

Please see useful links to the Revenue website where we have linked to information that would be of interest to NUI Galway staff members.